Below is an independent assessment we carried out in January 2014 on a proposed 32 turbine wind farm to be built on the lands surrounding our Offaly research farm.
We found that the proposed wind farm would not be viable and would have detrimental consequences for the local environment.
Our main findings were as follows,
- The proposed site is not windy enough.
- The claimed reduction of the national carbon footprint has been overestimated.
- There are better ways to reduce our carbon footprint.
- It would make the electricity network less reliable.
- It would have detrimental consequences for the local environment.
Below is a video clip illustrating the turbulence generated by wind turbines during a snow storm: